"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Conquering Timp.

Early this morning, before most of the teenagers had even gone to bed from their crazy Friday night, I woke up. I put on my good running shoes and grabbed 3 water bottles, a bunch of snacks, and got into my friends car at 1:20 am. A few days prior, my dear friend Rachel and I brainstormed ideas for ending our summer in an epic manner. We decided that hiking Timpooneke would be a good idea. I honestly don't know what the heck we were thinking. After driving up the canyon, we started hiking. And hiking. and hiking. It seemed to never end. I think the reason that I don't remember most of it is because I was so freaking exhausted, but I remember thinking "Holy son of a.., we're not even half way yet." or "I swear on my great grandmothers grave that I will never do this ever ever again. ever." And occasionally, "I'm starting to feel rather uneasy.."
The trail started out remotely flat, with a few inclines here and there. As we got farther in, the path got way more difficult. Like walking over patches of snow that were as smooth as ice. Trying not to trip on rocks that came out of nowhere in the pitch blackness of the Wasatch Mountain nights. Trying so hard not to beg the guys for a break because your legs were on fire and your lungs were the size of peanuts. When we got to the top, though, it was all worth it. The view was amazing.
This doesn't really cover it.. but you get the gist of it.

We got to the top around 5:50, and decided to hang around until the sun came up. We all heard that it was supposed to be an amazing view. While we waited, we talked. We watched a lightening storm miles away, and we talked and laughed and it was super easy and fun. Then, around 7:00, we got this view


Sorry, my camera kinda sucks, but isn't that gorgeous? The colors were crazy beautiful. I loved them. We stayed until we felt like we got the whole "experience" and then we started the trek back down to the parking lot. As soon as we got off the saddle, we ran into these fellows.


Mountain Goats! :) It was fun. We got so so close and then they all ran away. Pansies.
Anyway, the hike back down seemed a lot longer, but we eventually made it back to the car. My feet hurt like mad and I have 5645413 new blisters, but way more memories. It was worth it, and now all of us who went can say that we
Conquered Timpooneke.
What a supreme way to end the summer, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment