"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Home.Coming.

I never thought I'd be one to get overly excited about dances. Consequently I discovered yesterday that I love them. Everything about them is so great. Let me just tell you:
 1.) The Day Date. 

Lets just be honest here, it doesn't get any better than a pudding slip-n-slide. Yeah, I know. PUDDING. I had to try really hard not to eat it. We got a giant tarp and put it on a hill in this park up on the side of the mountain, and the boys brought bowls and buckets and containers full of pudding. I personally thought it was brilliant. We threw it at each other, slid down the tarp, and just messed around. Eventually we got all tired, and discovered really quick that the pudding had dried. 
No bueno.
It was terrible. We could hardly talk because it made our face all cracked and stiff, and every time we moved our arms or legs, skin would stick together. Ouuuch. It was really funny, though. We drove to a nearby pond and tried to get it off our skin. After scrubbing with little individual knives that severed every pore on my face ......,sand, we finally drove home. It was such a fun date. Oh my heck.


2) Getting ready for the dance. 
Alright.. I don't know about you, but I don't get ready that often. Usually I just wear jeans and a big t-shirt to school with my hair in a messy bun. ( The upside to this is that when you have a random day where you DO get ready, EVERYONE notices. Its rather funny to me. "Hey, you look pretty today!" "Thanks. I straightened my hair for the first time in 4 months.!") Anyway, Having a day where I had the time and actually used it to look sociably acceptable.. was really fun. I did my nails, messed around with hair styles, modeled my dress, experimented with eye shadow.. ( I think I found a new hobby. Eye Shadow is so fun to screw around with. ) I dunno. It was just fun to feel pretty for once.


3) When your date comes.
All of the movies portray that "staircase decent scene" like its the biggest deal in the whole world. Which I guess in some cases it may be. I have to admit, I have really awesome prom stairs. They wind around and you get a straight shot at the door while you still have like 4 steps left. Im sure I could've put my hand on the railing and danced down if I wanted to, just to make it more dramatic.. but that would've made my date feel awkward. I just walked down casually.
My date: "Oh hey." <-- (was he surprised to see me? Haha.)
Me: "Hey!" I guess it could've been considered casual conversation. Except I was in a dress and had probably 12 ounces of hairspray in my hair. Oh well.


4) Corsage and Boutineer.
What the heck. Who on earth made these things so complicated. I was trying SO hard not to stab Carson to death the whole time. How are 2 little pins supposed to keep this massive rose on a thin shirt? Geeze. After like 400 attempts on my part, I just had my mom do it. She's a lot more experienced than I am.
Carson was smart and got a velcro corsage, with really pretty white roses and red accents. I thought he did a good job. I was impressed. Luckily, we made it out the door with no bloodshed. 


5) Pictures.
What is it about taking pictures in a dress that makes them so much more fun? Usually I hate taking pictures. Probably because I look like crap more than half of the time, but I guess looking fancy does silly things to your confidence. We went to these old Silos with old garage doors and hay. I thought they were super precious. One of the girls in our group had her mom come and take the pictures, and I thought they were really awesome. 
Side Note: Each couple had to come up with their own pose and mine and Carson's was definitely the best. What was it? AWKWARD POSE. Oh heck yeah. I may have stolen the idea from my dear friend Camille, but I couldn't help it. It was so funny. I wish I had a copy of the picture to show you, but I don't. Once i do, I'll put it on here. 


6) Dinner. 
I guess I loved dinner so much just because I love food. Period. And we went to one of my all time favorite restaurants in this whole wide world. Los Hermanos. Mmmm. Carson was telling me about this fancy mexican drink that I just HAD to try called Horchata. He said 'Its like a liquid cinnamon roll.' So duh I had to try it. The whole table ordered one, and the waiter brought them all out. He stopped to put mine down and guess what? 
Spilled the whole tray all over my dress. Oh yeah. Just my luck, right? Good thing my dress had absorbent fabric or I would've been livid. It just sank into my dress and we were all good. 


7) The DANCE.
Kay, I was never one for dancing. But there's something about High School dances that make me crazy. Maybe it's everyone dancing the same dance, or the good music with the fancy lights, but I love it. I love love love it. People watching is also really fun to do. You have A) The awkward couple that slow dances to every song and just stares into each others eyes like they're watching a movie. [ vomit. ] B) the couple that bobs up and down to the beat of the music awkwardly. C) The couple that just stands and talks the whole time because neither one of them wants to dance. [ Why are you even here? You're taking up my 2-step space. Away with you. ] D) The couple that goes absolutely insane to every song. I was that kind of couple. Poor Carson probably thought I was high the whole night. He danced crazy with me though, so that was nice.
Secret: I can actually dance. Weird, huh? Everyone was shocked. Shut up, I can dance, alright?
I thought the DJ was decent. Last year at Prom they edited the crap out of every song, so we couldn't even sing along. Lame. Homecoming was sweet cause the DJ knew music. Party music. I approved.
Our group decided to leave like 5 minutes early to beat the traffic, and as we're walking out, guess what song starts playing?
PARTY ROCK ANTHEM.

OH my FREAK YES. We run back down the hall and the whole entire school is shuffling. I was like "yes. My life is complete." I think I rubbed holes in the bottoms of my Toms due to excessive shuffling. It was so crazy. Everyone was screaming and dancing and laughing and shuffling and.. ah. Bliss.


All in all, I had an amazing time. Carson was an awesome date and my group was hilarious. I couldn't have asked for a better homecoming experience.


Some pictures for your hungry eyes? Here you go. 
Oh dang. We're so fine.

Hair? Diamonds? YES.

Kodak moment!

He picked me up in a BMW. No big deal.


How cute is my group? For real.

I don't remember what was happening here, but apparently I thought it was hilarious..







Anyway. It was super fun. 
More pictures soon. I promise!



2 comments: